It’s officially hot outside, and it’s likely that you’re getting more dehydrated more easily. Do you know how much water you need to be drinking on a daily basis? Does it differ for each person?
According to a report from the National Academy of Sciences, “The vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide. The report did not specify exact requirements for water, but set general recommendations for women at approximately 2.7 liters (91 ounces) of total water — from all beverages and foods — each day, and men an average of approximately 3.7 liters (125 ounces daily) of total water.”
“About 80 percent of people’s total water intake comes from drinking water and beverages — including caffeinated beverages — and the other 20 percent is derived from food.”
What kinds of food can you eat to increase your water intake? According to the SF Gate, “Vegetables that contain 92 percent water include cauliflower, eggplant, red cabbage, peppers and spinach. Broccoli is 91 percent water by weight. Additional healthy hydrating foods include carrots with 87 percent water and green peas and white potatoes with 79 percent water.”
Therefore, there’s a wide range of ways in which to increase your daily intake – from vegetables to sparking water, there’s plenty of options for staying hydrated.